cast of characters

Lani and Ann are the Weaver sisters!

Lani's household consists of Steve, the long-suffering coding genius and computer security guru; Jim, Lani's tall, red-headed and handsome son, currently finishing his second year of college; Hunter, Jasmine, Himari, Chenault, the miraculous Onyx and the even more miraculous Resk, undisputed feline rulers of the house; and Jesse, the man-hating green-cheeked conure.

Ann's household consists of Don, who is not just a computer genius but a pilot, a builder, and a damn good father; their son Steve, the marathon-running, college-bound, funniest teenager I know; and wonder dog Tater.

Other family members are Laurie, Lani's beautiful daughter who teaches at elementary levels; her handsome son Alex, aka Alexander the Great; Mary and Bo, a/k/a Mom and Dad, and Bud and Ann, Steve's patient and wonderful parents.

what's going on

previous posts

Missing Steve
Yarn School!
Click Click Click ...
Love or brownies
Three ... two ... one ... liftoff!!


July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 October 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011

public service announcements




blog reads

Knit and Tonic

Sister, Sister

the life and times of the Weaver sisters

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Ow, ow, ow. (posted by Lani)

Dear Ann,

Today's post was going to be lighthearted and merry, filled with commiseration over missing your Steve, and envy of your great evening sailing, and chitchat about cats and yarn, and pictures of progress on Mel's blanket and the progress on our new living room table that was being delivered this afternoon -- but Things Changed at around 4:30 this morning. And they didn't change in a good way, either.

4:30 a.m. is when I woke up with what seemed for a minute like a little cramp in my side but rapidly progressed to a rather large and unsettling pain, and went downstairs to be all stoic on the couch until the doctor's office opened or the pain went away, whichever came first.

5:35 a.m. is when I woke Steve up by whimpering pathetically calling him from halfway up the stairs because I discovered that it really just hurt too much to walk the rest of the way up the stairs. Or to walk. Or to stand, when things got right down to it.

5:40 a.m. is when the ambulance arrived because Steve really, truly, totally flipped out in a most un-Steve-like way after finding me crumpled on the stairs crying, and he called 911 which made me cry harder which flipped him out more -- it was a lovely little cycle of insanity.

7:05 a.m. is when the ER doctor, a radiantly beautiful Higher Being straight from Heaven, accompanied by cherubim and seraphim singing hosannas in her praise very nice woman, examined me and promised me Drugs.

From there on my day was a fun-filled and ultimately drug-hazed journey filled with bon mots such as "Hi, I'm Dan! I'm here to start your IV. Um, I'm a little new at this." followed shortly by "Actually you'll be the first real human I've ever done this on, but I practiced on the plastic arm in class!" I Swear I Do Not Lie About This. Thank heavens that I'm pretty blase about needles, and Dan actually did a bangup job. I think he relaxed once I assured him that if he'd just give me the Dilaudid I'd been promised I didn't care if he had to take a knife and CHOP a hole in my arm. Dan's in training to be a firefighter and was doing his crosstraining in the ER today, and he was so grateful to me for being an uncomplaining guinea pig that he kept an eye on me all day. And he gave me Dilaudid not once, not twice, but three times, so I totally adore him.

Many hours of drugs, and more sticks, and flipping out a lovely nurse's aide who was going to help me go pee by standing up and promptly falling into a not-very-graceful-heap because my blood pressure was perhaps just a wee bit low, and catheterization, and more drugs, and xrays, and ct scans, and more drugs ... and Hi! Welcome to the wonderful world of kidney stones!

Yeah. I have a kidney stone. Who knew these damn things hurt like that? I had no clue whatsoever and I'd have been happy to have remained blissfully ignorant, to be honest. Unfortunately I wasn't given the option, so here I sit at home surrounded by pill bottles and bottled water and assured that This Too Shall Pass. Literally.

I'll leave you with this little face -- he snuggled with me and licked my face in my hour of need this morning, he met me at the door purring when I came home, and he can eat all the flowers he wants.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
So! My day sucked. And my new furniture didn't get delivered. How was your day?


At 6:12 PM, Blogger Deneen said...

OMG Lani-I love Dilaudid, but I found out I am allergic two hospital visits ago.

BTW, I hate to be the bearer of worse news, but passing a kidney stone hurts, hurts like hell, really bad hurt. I am not trying to scare you, but be prepared, you may vomit. Once it passes, the pain is all gone and all is well.

What a shitty day.

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

I agree with Deneen on the part about it being a shitty day. I have had a severe kidney infection that caused me to be in the ER at 6 am just like you, many years ago. It took me a week of pain meds to recover from that. I can imagine that a kidney stone would be worse and that scares me!

I have heard somewhere that eating things with Calcium and drinking tea can cause kidney stones. I don't know if that is true or not and I don't know if you are a tea drinker.

I hope it passes quickly for you and this isn't a recurring event.

At 6:31 PM, Blogger Pink said...

Poor you, those kidney stones are awful...I know you have a ton of advice/meds but lemon juice in water is supposed to help break the calcium (stone) down and also help reduce the chance of them recurring. I hope you fell better soon...kitty is adorable, btw!

At 8:36 PM, Blogger ThreeOliveMartini said...

omg i hope you are better but this may be what has had your back all jacked up so as soon as it passes.. which as every one has stated wont be fun.. you should be really better.. and yeah .. um dilaudid rules especially if you are allergic to morphine

i know you will be ok soon !! and with onyx th wonder cat there how could you not be ?

At 8:37 PM, Blogger ThreeOliveMartini said...

oh and did i mention .. even though steve freaked.. i am GLAD he called 911.. i think that was the best thing to do

At 6:46 PM, Blogger Lani said...

Deneen: gee thanks! *hehe* Actually the stone has already left my kidneys so I'm in the initial stages of its passing -- which explains the excruciating pain. And the whole vomiting stuff? Yeah, I know. It's ... not fun. I'm just lucky that it's of a size that it will hopefully pass on its own, no surgery required. I can't wait.

Pink and Wendy: The doc told me calcium was a cause, but normally not dietary calcium as much as supplements and for a woman -- you don't want to totally eliminate calcium from your diet. Caffeine can also be a contributing factor because it dehydrates you, so I have to limit my coffee, tea, and soda intake. Which is better for me anyway, right?

And Beth ... I was really upset about Steve dialing 911, but arriving by ambulance assured that I got seen quickly in a very, very busy ER so it was actually a Good Thing. I think I took 10 years off his life though, poor thing ;)

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Deneen said...

Are you feeling better? Did it pass? I have been thinking about you since I read this-worried, sad, etc.


Post a Comment

<< Home