cast of characters

Lani and Ann are the Weaver sisters!

Lani's household consists of Steve, the long-suffering coding genius and computer security guru; Jim, Lani's tall, red-headed and handsome son, currently finishing his second year of college; Hunter, Jasmine, Himari, Chenault, the miraculous Onyx and the even more miraculous Resk, undisputed feline rulers of the house; and Jesse, the man-hating green-cheeked conure.

Ann's household consists of Don, who is not just a computer genius but a pilot, a builder, and a damn good father; their son Steve, the marathon-running, college-bound, funniest teenager I know; and wonder dog Tater.

Other family members are Laurie, Lani's beautiful daughter who teaches at elementary levels; her handsome son Alex, aka Alexander the Great; Mary and Bo, a/k/a Mom and Dad, and Bud and Ann, Steve's patient and wonderful parents.

what's going on

previous posts

Magpie
Ta-da!
Léche-Vitrines
Ham Is Food
Willpower
Copenhagen
Gee, thanks! and other trivia
Unknown Things
What Not To Do
One Day Blog Silence

archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 October 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011

public service announcements

Photobucket

rings

links

blog reads







Knit and Tonic

Sister, Sister

the life and times of the Weaver sisters

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Home again home again (posted by Lani)

And none too soon. I do love it in Colorado, and Beth and I had a lot of fun, but I missed Steve, and the cats, and Pippin, and Jesse, and ... well, I was just ready to get home. Before I headed out I had another Trip From Hell; what is WITH this lately? Two trips in a row that ended with 14+ hour days due to weather delays. That's a long, long day, folks. Seriously long. Painfully long. I'm really hoping that trend comes to a screeching halt, because I Do Not Like This.

So, Colorado. Did I mention I love it? Because yeah, I do. Beth and I flew in on Friday and headed over to the Omni, which (I must brag on my leet Priceline skeelz!) I had gotten for a completely stupidly low price, lest you think I won the lottery while you weren't looking or something. Beth's online great-deal-getting skills being at least equal to mine, we were driving a cute blue Chrysler Pacifica. We stayed at the Omni for 3 nights, then switched over to the Millenium in Boulder for our last two nights (fabulous room, we liked it even better than the Omni). I kinda hadn't mentioned to poor Beth that we had to meet the realtor -- in Nederland, an hour away -- at 9:00 the next morning. ;)

We got up Saturday morning, staggered out of the hotel and over to Starbucks, and we were off. My list had I think 9 properties on it, and Nancy the Wonder Realtor had another 4 or 5 for us to look at. Honestly, I had figured we'd look around, see a lot of great stuff, and get an idea of what we'd be looking at when we really got serious. I didn't count on finding THE property -- but I did. 35 acres of pure beauty, with gorgeous views of both the foothills and the divide, natural building sites, a stream at the bottom, deer and elk wandering across the lower meadow ... and I mean, obviously this kind of incredible natural beauty alone isn't enough to make a knitter's heart go pitter patter, so let's toss in a really fabulously nice neighbor who breeds alpaca for sale and said (I kid you not, CROSS MY HEART) "Nah, we just throw away the fleece. (I almost fainted on the spot.) Oh, you knit? Your friend spins? Oh, well, you could just have all you wanted, we'd be glad to see you take it."). Seriously.

From there on, it was a rollercoaster ride. I called Steve. We talked. The property was at the tippy-tip-top of our price range, but ... it was so wonderful. So perfect. Everything we'd hoped for (plus alpaca!). So, we made an offer on Sunday -- at full price. On Monday we got the news; not one but TWO other offers, one of those also at full price. The sellers were going to counter the two of us. I started calling builders, and on Tuesday morning took one out to the site with me to go over details and make sure I wasn't missing everything; I wasn't, it was still the perfect site, and so we responded to the counter on Tuesday afternoon (the other people, we were told, had responded Tuesday morning). By Tuesday night we knew we had won, and the sellers would be signing the contract on Wednesday morning. HURRAY!

Well, unfortunately. You remember those words, right? Life had other things in store for us. At 10:30 Tuesday night someone else, an entirely new party, made an offer. Not just any offer, either; a cash offer at $20k over the asking price. No way we could compete with that, our counter had already taken us over budget. Stick a fork in us; we were done. The sellers (who are really very nice people) have offered us a backup contract, which of course we're taking; but it's a longshot, to say the least. So, pooh and other bad words. We're still looking, but the wind has been knocked out of our sails for now. I tell you, both the realtor and I almost cried. I keep telling myself that things happen for a reason, and I do believe that, but sometimes it's just hard to accept.

On a more cheerful note, Beth and I got quite a bit of shopping and sightseeing in between episodes of pretending we were mountain goats and climbing up 45 degree angles to building lots on the top of the world. We went up to The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park (The Shining was filmed there), wandered around Estes Park a bit, drove through the mountains and ooohed and aahed. We visited a couple of neat yarn shops; we had planned to visit several more, but Posh and The Recycled Lamb were so fabulous, and we had bought so much fiber by the time we left those two, that we called it quits then and there. Do stop by either or both if you're ever in the Denver area. We also shopped for clothes, and shoes, and handbags, and jewelry, and goodies for my Knitters Tea Swap 3 pal -- let's just say we shopped, and leave it at that. Well, except to say that we actually had to ship stuff home, because there were these slight issues about suitcases actually closing. Not that either of us went buckwild crazy or anything, of course *cough*

And finally, on Wednesday it was over. Back to the airport, onto a plane, and then onto another plane, and we're both home now. I'll be going back out again at the end of June, or whenever Nancy finds more properties for us to look at -- and hopefully Beth can come with again. I'm pretty sure there's still some booze left in Boulder, and we need to take care of that!

2 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Blogger ThreeOliveMartini said...

wha huh? shopping? we must have done that while we were drunkLOL

and umm yeah lets not talk about the tight as a tick suitcase LOL

and .. where is our rock star pic? LOL

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Ann said...

I'm sorry it didn't work - but there has to be another place even better out there! You'll just have to keep looking, and that doesn't sound like much of a hardship. Unfortunately, my travels don't head that direction and I'm not volunteering to travel any more than I have to these days.

And now that Beth has told on you, you have to post the "rock star" picture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home