cast of characters

Lani and Ann are the Weaver sisters!

Lani's household consists of Steve, the long-suffering coding genius and computer security guru; Jim, Lani's tall, red-headed and handsome son, currently finishing his second year of college; Hunter, Jasmine, Himari, Chenault, the miraculous Onyx and the even more miraculous Resk, undisputed feline rulers of the house; and Jesse, the man-hating green-cheeked conure.

Ann's household consists of Don, who is not just a computer genius but a pilot, a builder, and a damn good father; their son Steve, the marathon-running, college-bound, funniest teenager I know; and wonder dog Tater.

Other family members are Laurie, Lani's beautiful daughter who teaches at elementary levels; her handsome son Alex, aka Alexander the Great; Mary and Bo, a/k/a Mom and Dad, and Bud and Ann, Steve's patient and wonderful parents.

what's going on

previous posts

Don
And in today's news
Catching up
I Promised!
India
I'm still standing
The Elegance of Paris
It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas
Then A Miracle Occurs ...
Oscar

archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 October 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011

public service announcements

Photobucket

rings

links

blog reads







Knit and Tonic

Sister, Sister

the life and times of the Weaver sisters

Saturday, June 12, 2010

I'm told it's my turn ... (posted by Lani)

so here's a post complete with obligatory wildlife picture and this time NOT of Baby! I have two nesting pairs of these black-headed grosbeaks this year where I only had one last year. We also have a ton of broadtailed hummingbirds, but the rufous hummers haven't arrived yet.

Speaking of Baby, though, she brought me a bird on Friday! She laid it down on the patio once she had eye contact with me, and then backed up and sat down. When I wasn't properly appreciative she eventually took it and left; I wonder whether she was trying to trade it in for something better, or whether she thinks I need hunting lessons ;)

It's been really nice all week, but last night we got a cold front and now here we are mid-June and this morning it hailed and even snowed a little (although it didn't stick). It's been dripping nasty cold rain all day, which makes a perfect excuse for being lazy and we've all shamelessly taken that excuse and run with it. I think we've earned it though!

Steve was in Miami this week sweltering in the South Florida heat, and Jim and I have been doing some planting. We've planted spruce, juniper and fir seedlings, lilacs, chokecherry, golden currant, black currant, and plum bushes all purchased from the county extension service, plus hollyhocks, catnip and calendula generously gifted to us by my friend Yvonne, who lives directly across the valley from us. We had about 35 of the tree seedlings and 80 of the bushes and are only about a third of the way done with the planting on those; Yvonne's hollyhocks and other goodies are almost all placed. It's a LOT of work, especially with the soil here being more rock than soil. I hope the hollyhocks and lilacs do as well as the daylilies Bud and Ann sent us.

Jim has also been hauling, splitting and stacking wood for firewood for next winter -- I still have the shoulder as an excuse so I haven't had to wield an axe yet this year. I wonder how long I can milk that ...

This week we've also had Kitty Drama. Onyx, who can be a big ol' bully, apparently pushed Hunter too far and got himself bitten. As cat bites often do this one abscessed, so we got to visit the emergency vet on Sunday to have it cleaned and opened up and get Onyx, who at that point was a sick sick kitty, some antibiotics. Unfortunately what none of us knew initially was that this was a bad, bad abscess. That became clear when he just wasn't getting better; a visit to our regular vet on Wednesday evening confirmed it, and on Thursday Onyx had to have surgery. He now has a big shaved spot on his side and a rather impressive incision with lots of stitches (I'll spare you putting the picture in this post, but you can see it here if you're curious). He's on pain medications and stronger antibiotics, and of course there are more vet visits in his immediate future. Poor kitty :( We're all pampering him but he has to be confined away from the other cats, which means he's also away from his people for most of the day, so he's not a very happy boy.

I'm hoping to make a quick trip down to Florida at the end of this month/beginning of July for Alex's birthday. Apparently I'm going to miss you, Annie, by just a couple of days -- that sucks, but maybe we can both be down there later this year! I'm trying to talk Steve into a long trip to Carolina and Florida later this year ... we'll see how well that goes over, eh?

And now, tag. You're it!

4 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger Ann said...

That is a very impressive line of sutures - poor Onyx just doesn't seem to get a break, even if he may have deserved this one.

We had a lazy Saturday too, it seems to be going around.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I learned some years ago don't mess with Hunter. After a day of keeping him confined in a bathroom so the movers could pack Steve's stuff he literally leap over my head to escape, looked back at me as if to say "you aren't the boss of me..." I suspect Onyx has also learned a lesson... Your planting sounds wonderfully ambitious!

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Lani said...

I certainly hope Onyx has learned a lesson, but only time will tell. Thank heavens for major-league painkillers and major-league antibiotics, or this would be much worse than it is.

Our planting is ambitious! We're hoping to replace any trees that are beetle-killed this year, and to add some resistant species in advance of future beetle kills. Plus, of course, flowers for me and yummy fruits and berries -- I would say also for me but realistically, those are for the deer/elk/foxes/birds/rabbits/bears. Maybe I'll get some leftovers.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If it wasn't so blasted hot I'd send you more daylilies but I have to admit right now its just too brutal. But I look forward to lots of pictures of what you're putting in, it sounds like a lot of fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home