cast of characters

Lani and Ann are the Weaver sisters!

Lani's household consists of Steve, the long-suffering coding genius and computer security guru; Jim, Lani's tall, red-headed and handsome son, currently finishing his second year of college; Hunter, Jasmine, Himari, Chenault, the miraculous Onyx and the even more miraculous Resk, undisputed feline rulers of the house; and Jesse, the man-hating green-cheeked conure.

Ann's household consists of Don, who is not just a computer genius but a pilot, a builder, and a damn good father; their son Steve, the marathon-running, college-bound, funniest teenager I know; and wonder dog Tater.

Other family members are Laurie, Lani's beautiful daughter who teaches at elementary levels; her handsome son Alex, aka Alexander the Great; Mary and Bo, a/k/a Mom and Dad, and Bud and Ann, Steve's patient and wonderful parents.

what's going on

previous posts

Sweets For My Sweet
Knitting - yes, I still do some
The Cake
I'll do anything for cake ....
Snow Day!
My day
Bonjour!
Happy New Year!
Perhaps
Yum, or What I Did Today

archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 October 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011

public service announcements

Photobucket

rings

links

blog reads







Knit and Tonic

Sister, Sister

the life and times of the Weaver sisters

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

London (posted by Ann)

On Monday, Feb 28 (Mom's birthday) I went out to dinner with a group of ladies from work and here we are toasting to Mom. Happy Birthday!!

I got stuck in London over the weekend, which I wasn't too happy about but it turned out okay since I decided that I had to entertain myself instead of mope in the hotel room. I went here Friday night, and found my favorite horse painting, Whistlejacket. He's life size and is absolutely gorgeous.

Then on Saturday I met a friend from the office and did this , then we went to lunch, and then I went shopping to Liberty of London. It was FABULOUS! An entire floor of fabrics, yarn, needlepoint, crewel, other crafty things - a wall of buttons. I restrained myself and still came home with a few things. Very lovely!

For all of this moving around I got a day pass for the Tube, and of course you need a map of the Tube or who knows where you would wind up. This is the cover of the Tube map these days.

I want to go to Laughter, Brilliance, Joy, Awe and Compassion. I'll skip Fame, Pride, Envy and Perfection, please. I did fairly well and took all the right trains, which I was very proud of. It's such a great system - tube stations are everywhere. I figured out at the end of the day that a day pass gets you not only the tube but buses and water taxis too, all for about 6 pounds. What a deal, and what an easy way to get around London!

So, my favorite thing that happened this week was a realization I had. This is my second trip to London with this company, and our office is at the corner of Wood St. and London Wall Street. I've said this to lots of people between taxi drivers and others I'm meeting with, but as I got in the elevator my last day there I looked out of the glass wall of the elevator and noticed that there is what looks like a ruin right next to the building. Then I looked closer, and realized it was the wall. As in The London Wall around the city, built by the Romans in the 2nd or 3rd century - that wall. As in - that's why it's called London Wall Street.

So I walked outside with my camera. My office in London is the building on the left in the first picture. I can't even tell you how awed I was to be looking at something that was built that long ago, and to think about living in a time where a wall like that would actually protect you from your enemies. So before the next visit I'm determined to read a bit more about London history and to see more (perhaps I should just say to notice more . . . )

1 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

What? No perfection? Are you sure you are a Southerner?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home