cast of characters

Lani and Ann are the Weaver sisters!

Lani's household consists of Steve, the long-suffering coding genius and computer security guru; Jim, Lani's tall, red-headed and handsome son, currently finishing his second year of college; Hunter, Jasmine, Himari, Chenault, the miraculous Onyx and the even more miraculous Resk, undisputed feline rulers of the house; and Jesse, the man-hating green-cheeked conure.

Ann's household consists of Don, who is not just a computer genius but a pilot, a builder, and a damn good father; their son Steve, the marathon-running, college-bound, funniest teenager I know; and wonder dog Tater.

Other family members are Laurie, Lani's beautiful daughter who teaches at elementary levels; her handsome son Alex, aka Alexander the Great; Mary and Bo, a/k/a Mom and Dad, and Bud and Ann, Steve's patient and wonderful parents.

what's going on

previous posts

Lots of pictures
Almost Famous
Oh yeah, and ...
Hi Honey, I'm Home!
Castle
Lessons in knitting
Friday!
Reality
It's A Boy . . .
Traveling

archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 October 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011

public service announcements

Photobucket

rings

links

blog reads







Knit and Tonic

Sister, Sister

the life and times of the Weaver sisters

Monday, October 30, 2006

Eet smakelijk (posted by Ann)

Yes, indeed, eet smakelijk.

What's that? You don't know what that means? Well, let's see - how about three choices?

1) Eat your smoked eel
2) Enjoy your meal
3) Eek! a snake

Oh, all right, I guess it was too obvious. That's the sign on my room service tray tonight in Amsterdam, and on the other side it was in English. It means enjoy your meal, of course. Smoked eel isn't the only thing they serve in the Netherlands, you know - sometimes you get buttermilk, too.

This is my last post from Europe, I go home Wednesday. I'm ready to be there, this has been a long trip.

I worked in our Paris office today, and had the best meal of the trip for lunch. It was four courses, along with two wines, and was absolutely wonderful. In Chicago, you're lucky if you get a sandwich with a bottle of water, but in the Paris office you get langoustines for a starter, wonderful chicken with swiss chard and some divine sauce, butter lettuce salad with melted cheese and a baked apple in pastry with pepper ice cream along with two wines, one white and one red, and espresso. For lunch.

I am noticing some things about manners - in the states, you don't really clean your plate. In France, you are supposed to clean it, as a matter of fact that's what they give you bread for - so you can mop the last of the wonderful sauce off it. Also, remember all that keep your hands in your lap unless you're eating stuff? Not so here, you're supposed to keep both hands above the table (but not elbows on the table). And I'm always the last to finish when I don't think I'm a particularly slow eater. It's interesting to notice some of these differences, and unbelievably hard to do things differently. Mom, you should be proud that you trained those Southern manners in me! Too bad they don't translate to France . . .

Here are a few more pictures from my Louvre visit yesterday, and walking around outside afterwards. French sculpture, french brides and french people in general. Just one thing about the Louvre before I get started with the pictures. In general, I'm not educated enough for the Louvre. It's all those math and science classes, I guess. I walked through French sculpture, then the part with the Asian Antiquities and I just don't know enough to understand what I'm looking at. I got the audio tour, but I got pissed off at the commentary when they were snarky about the dragon St. George is slaying. They said he was "obvious and naive", and I think he's the cutest dragon ever. Ever, I tell you. Just look at his face!

Those art critics. Pah. I think he's the bomb. See?





You won't hear from me for a while, I'm posted out. Maybe I'll have some knitting content next time I post . . .

Hope you are getting a little time off, but I think I remember that you really don't, you are on call immediately. Do I remember that right? Hope not for your and Steve's sake.

P.S. I promised a bride, but Blogger doesn't like her. I thought the dress was tacky too, so no bride.

2 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Lani said...

I love that dragon. Obvious and naive, eh? Hmphf. Goes to show what art critics know.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

I prefer "Eek! A snake." No wonder I didn't do well in foreign language classes. English seems foreign sometimes. I think I need some of those French lunches. Frozen WW meals have gotten old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home