cast of characters

Lani and Ann are the Weaver sisters!

Lani's household consists of Steve, the long-suffering coding genius and computer security guru; Jim, Lani's tall, red-headed and handsome son, currently finishing his second year of college; Hunter, Jasmine, Himari, Chenault, the miraculous Onyx and the even more miraculous Resk, undisputed feline rulers of the house; and Jesse, the man-hating green-cheeked conure.

Ann's household consists of Don, who is not just a computer genius but a pilot, a builder, and a damn good father; their son Steve, the marathon-running, college-bound, funniest teenager I know; and wonder dog Tater.

Other family members are Laurie, Lani's beautiful daughter who teaches at elementary levels; her handsome son Alex, aka Alexander the Great; Mary and Bo, a/k/a Mom and Dad, and Bud and Ann, Steve's patient and wonderful parents.

what's going on

previous posts

Ack. Yow.
This week
Too Many Irons in the Fire
Have you ever wondered
Update
One, two, three . . . .
$29.11????? For real?
Oops, I did it again ..
Oy vey, and Hurray!
Bad mojo all around

archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 October 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011

public service announcements

Photobucket

rings

links

blog reads







Knit and Tonic

Sister, Sister

the life and times of the Weaver sisters

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Heirloom? (posted by Ann)


I washed the quilt that Grandy gave me today, and hung it out to dry on the back porch. It got me started thinking about what qualifies something as an heirloom, because much as I love this particular quilt it's - well - it's a crazy quilt made of corduroy, and it is backed with leopard print corduroy, and it was quilted by tying little knots in yarn, and face it no one is ever going to say it's gorgeous.

But I love it unreasoningly because Grandy made it for me, and Steve loves it too. It has been cuddled with since I was what - 6? 40 years!!

Maybe none of us should worry so much about what the thing we're making looks like, and concentrate more on the love that goes with something you make for someone. It's the love we're after, isn't it, more than the thing itself? Maybe that's the real definition of heirloom - made with love.

But I'm still going to fix that sleeve.

By the way, the tree behind the quilt is the one we planted on Steve's double-digit birthday so it's been around for almost 6 years now. It's looking tall and almost grown up just like he is.

This week I will be going from ORD to LGA and back, and next week ORD, LGA, GSO, ATL and back to ORD. We can do travel by shorthand since you'll have them all memorized! No ACK or YOW for me, at least for this couple of weeks.

4 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger Lani said...

I still have a quilt Grandy made for me as well; it's falling apart because it was made with thin cotton and it's been used and loved and washed for all these years, but I love it despite fraying fabric and weak seams. I heartily concur with your definition of heirloom; I've often said to others and I firmly believe that we are almost always our own harshest critics, and anyone worthy of receiving a gift made by hand with love should love it for just that reason. That said? Fix the sleeve ;) That sweater deserves perfection.

Have fun in Greensboro and hug Third Sister for me if you get to see her while you're in Atlanta!

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Well, an heirloom according to the Dictionary is "A valued possession passed down in a family through succeeding generations" It does not say anywhere that it has to be beautiful or expensive so I would say that your quilt fits the definition!

I have a heavy winter quilt that my Great-Grandma gave my Father. Its ugly beyond belief, but its what I curl up in when I am back in the US - the love that she put into it comes out and gives me comfort when I'm sick, cheered up when I am blue and warmed on the coldest of nights.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger StitchLuva and Yarn said...

i have always thought that an heirloom was something that was passed on through generations. value and beauty are in the hearts of the recipients, if you love it enough to pass it on and they do the same that makes it an heirloom.

ps. i think the quilt is beautiful.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger MLFTC said...

I am helping Kristy respond to all the knitters that have signed up for CAP!Thank you so much! We are so excited about the tremendous response! We are sure that this will be a success. If you have any questions you can e-mail at grandmotherpurl@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home