cast of characters

Lani and Ann are the Weaver sisters!

Lani's household consists of Steve, the long-suffering coding genius and computer security guru; Jim, Lani's tall, red-headed and handsome son, currently finishing his second year of college; Hunter, Jasmine, Himari, Chenault, the miraculous Onyx and the even more miraculous Resk, undisputed feline rulers of the house; and Jesse, the man-hating green-cheeked conure.

Ann's household consists of Don, who is not just a computer genius but a pilot, a builder, and a damn good father; their son Steve, the marathon-running, college-bound, funniest teenager I know; and wonder dog Tater.

Other family members are Laurie, Lani's beautiful daughter who teaches at elementary levels; her handsome son Alex, aka Alexander the Great; Mary and Bo, a/k/a Mom and Dad, and Bud and Ann, Steve's patient and wonderful parents.

what's going on

previous posts

$29.11????? For real?
Oops, I did it again ..
Oy vey, and Hurray!
Bad mojo all around
I'm Jealous!
Lots to tell!
Temptation is a Bitch
The very model of restraint.
Is it really me?
The ho's lipstick of choice!

archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 October 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011

public service announcements

Photobucket

rings

links

blog reads







Knit and Tonic

Sister, Sister

the life and times of the Weaver sisters

Saturday, September 09, 2006

One, two, three . . . . (posted by Ann)

You always hear that bad things come in threes, and I've never been much of one for superstitions but I think there may be something to it. Or at least I hope there is something to it, because then we're done around this joint.

Let's see, around the house - 1) washer & dryer, 2) hot water heater, 3) dishwasher. We've replaced the first two within the last two months, and haven't replaced the last one yet so I'm hand washing. With a fabulous MDK Ball-Band dishrag, none-the-less, but handwashing.

And in other areas, 1) airplane crash, 2) hernia, and now I have the third one on the list. Before I get to that, hernia update. Don's surgery was successful, but he had a negative reaction to the anesthesia so we were at the hospital all day. All. Day. Long. He is better today, and is definitely on the road to recovery. I know that because he's complaining a lot.

And here's #3. This morning, I left the house for 30 minutes to drop Steve off for his cross-country meet. I made the fateful decision to take the dogs with me, since they just love a "go-with". I dropped Steve off, and was driving home, maybe a quarter mile from the house, and a squirrel went across the road in front of the car carrying an apple that was bigger than his head. I laughed at the sight, and then I heard a loud banging noise.

I looked in the rear view mirror and saw Tater tumbling head over heels down the center of the road. He JUMPED out of the window of the Explorer GOING 45 MILES PER HOUR to get the squirrel. Miraculously, there was no on-coming traffic, and he picked himself up and ran to the other side of the road. The landscaping truck that was following me was far enough back they missed him. I screeched on the brakes, and left the car running with Pumpkin in it by the side of the road and went after Tater. He was so scared he wouldn't even come to me - he was shaking all over, and he'd come toward me but then he'd see or hear a car and turn and run. He ran all the way home with me behind him, so I let him in and then ran back hoping I would still find my car with my OTHER dog still in it. Both were there, so about ten minutes after that I had Tater in the car again headed for the vets office. X-Rays, exams, stitches, and he's at home with no broken bones and hopefully no lasting damage, though they've warned me he could still have internal injuries that won't show up for up to 24 hours. Steve will be sleeping on the futon on the ground floor next to him, because he's really sore and stiff, and not moving around much. He looks really pitiful with a bandage on his left front leg, and shaved spots all over where they cleaned up his road rash.

I can't believe he jumped. And then I can't believe he lived through it.

Maybe some of those old sayings are true. Certainly, God does protect a fool, or I'd have a dead dog, and I'm sure hoping about the threes. No more, please, we've had our fill around here!

3 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Blogger Lani said...

Oh. My. God. You know, that's what I'm always afraid of when I see cars with their windows down and dogs hanging half out, or pickup trucks with dogs hanging out, but people assure me the dogs never jump ... Tater just proved them wrong. I'm SO GLAD he seems to be ok, although I bet it took 10 years off your life. And I'm glad Don is ok too -- you've just had one hell of a weekend. My advice? Don't leave the house tomorrow.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger hi, i'm natalie said...

Whew! What a scary tale - I hope Tater pulls thru it all okay!

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Thanks, Natalie, it was really scary, but as you can see I think we're all on the road to recovery.

And Lani, I used to think he might jump when he was a puppy so we kept a leash on him. But he's been for HUNDREDS of rides, and we've seen deer, rabbits, and tons of squirrels. Who knows what got into that little dog brain this time, but I'll tell you he won't get in a car with me again with the windows down. Ever.

I would have sworn he wouldn't fit through them anyway, they don't roll all the way down and he's a hundred pounds of dog. I don't know how he fit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home