cast of characters

Lani and Ann are the Weaver sisters!

Lani's household consists of Steve, the long-suffering coding genius and computer security guru; Jim, Lani's tall, red-headed and handsome son, currently finishing his second year of college; Hunter, Jasmine, Himari, Chenault, the miraculous Onyx and the even more miraculous Resk, undisputed feline rulers of the house; and Jesse, the man-hating green-cheeked conure.

Ann's household consists of Don, who is not just a computer genius but a pilot, a builder, and a damn good father; their son Steve, the marathon-running, college-bound, funniest teenager I know; and wonder dog Tater.

Other family members are Laurie, Lani's beautiful daughter who teaches at elementary levels; her handsome son Alex, aka Alexander the Great; Mary and Bo, a/k/a Mom and Dad, and Bud and Ann, Steve's patient and wonderful parents.

what's going on

previous posts

A Cautionary Tale
I'm Still Alive!
Quick Update
Memorize is a four letter word
First, the color change; yeah, pink really isn't m...
Whoooo, whoo-whoooooooo
Knitting Discoveries, and Being a Worrywart
Margarita, please.
Heirloom?
Ack. Yow.

archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 October 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011

public service announcements

Photobucket

rings

links

blog reads







Knit and Tonic

Sister, Sister

the life and times of the Weaver sisters

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Ahhh, a Day of Rest (posted by Lani)

More or less, anyway. In response to your questions: Yes, I'm definitely enjoying my day off. Not that it's a totally lazy day since I have a take-home test, a chapter in my manual to read (this one is only 41 pages of mice type, but there's a quiz in the morning of course), and some worksheets to complete, but it's a day off nonetheless. Will the intensity slack off? No, it'll get more intense. We had our first exam yesterday (I aced it, go me!); we have the second one Wednesday, the third one Friday, the fourth one the following Tuesday, and the fifth and last (and reportedly hardest) that Thursday. We were initially told four exams; there are actually five. Such is life. And yes, I did notice that the attrition rate for the guys was significantly higher than for the women; we were actually talking about that at lunch yesterday.

So, I'm initially domiciled in Philadelphia. What does that mean? Pretty much what it says. Philadelphia will be my "home" initially, beginning in early November; it'll be the base from which I will start all my trips and at which I'm officially stationed. I say "initially" because obviously I want to be domiciled in Norfolk; I already have my transfer request in, so with any luck I'll only be in Philly for a month or two. And I mean "in Philly" quite literally; as a new flight attendant you don't have a set schedule. You're on reserve, meaning you have to be able to report to the airport within 2 hours at any time during your assigned schedule. You may or may not actually fly during that time, but if you get a call ... you have to be there in 2 hours. Obviously if I'm in Norfolk that isn't going to happen. This means, yep, I have to have someplace to live in Philadelphia during my scheduled days, and nope, I won't be home much; if I'm lucky I'll get back here twice a month for 3 to 4 days at a time. Is Steve happy about this? I'll let you guess, and your answer doesn't count if it's anything less emphatic than HELL NO. He's being very supportive though and has promised to keep an open mind until either (a) I'm actually stationed in Norfolk, or (b) February, at which time I've been given fair warning that his patience will expire. I'm told that I have a good chance of getting back here by then and there's some stuff going on that leads me to believe that's true, so let's all keep our fingers crossed that it works out.

The rest of my class? Most of them were assigned to Washington, DC; only 10 of us are going to Philly, 5 of whom are actually from there (and therefore are the happiest people in the class), and nobody got Norfolk. I am, tentatively, planning to stay in the spare room of one of the Philly people, bless her sweet heart; if that ends up not working I'll, um, throw my hands up and sob piteously. No, I'll work out some arrangement for a crash pad with other FAs; that's to say the very least not an ideal situation though and I really hope that doesn't happen. Cross your fingers again on that, please. Your fingers are going to be very very sore before this is over.

What else? Still haven't picked up needles or hook. Doubt I will until after the 21st, when classroom time is over and we get our IOE schedules. My life revolves around coffee, studying, more coffee, and more studying. Oh, and some studying, with some coffee. And every now and then some sleep, followed by coffee. Again, that's until the 21st; at that point, if we're still in this, we're out of the classroom and off we go on our Initial Operating Experience, a 3 or 4 day trip, normally including at least one leg into Canada so we get familiar with the whole customs thing. Due to the size of our class IOEs will be spread over a 2 week period, and we actually graduate November 2nd. That means I'll be having some time off, some breathing room, a recovery period ... and I'll need it.

Your blue sweater looks gorgeous; so will the pink one, and I agree that flower buttons would be perfect on it. So, so cute. My fingers are twitching!

Your description of your "quiet" week made me laugh, Ann. NOBODY but you would think that was a quiet week. Your plans for next week, however, made me drool. I do realize that during the week you'll be working, but wow in what fabulous surroundings. Do enjoy it; luxuriate in those fabulous surroundings, and take pictures! As for Paris ... next time you have a weekend in Paris, if you let me know a bit in advance, I just may join you. What good is a job that gives you free worldwide travel if you don't use it, after all?

And Cole has grown up, WOW. I remember Baby Cole, and look how big he is now! That picture with Pumpkin and Tater is totally adorable. You're right -- he's ALMOST as cute as Alex :)

I promised pictures. Yeah, right. I swear that this week I'll try to take pictures of my pansies, which are thriving despite my neglect and blooming like mad, or of an airplane, or something. In the meantime -- believe it or not, our cats have decided they're all friends. Yep, even Jasmine has relented after being faced with constant kitten-cuteness over a prolonged period of time. I remain amazed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home