cast of characters

Lani and Ann are the Weaver sisters!

Lani's household consists of Steve, the long-suffering coding genius and computer security guru; Jim, Lani's tall, red-headed and handsome son, currently finishing his second year of college; Hunter, Jasmine, Himari, Chenault, the miraculous Onyx and the even more miraculous Resk, undisputed feline rulers of the house; and Jesse, the man-hating green-cheeked conure.

Ann's household consists of Don, who is not just a computer genius but a pilot, a builder, and a damn good father; their son Steve, the marathon-running, college-bound, funniest teenager I know; and wonder dog Tater.

Other family members are Laurie, Lani's beautiful daughter who teaches at elementary levels; her handsome son Alex, aka Alexander the Great; Mary and Bo, a/k/a Mom and Dad, and Bud and Ann, Steve's patient and wonderful parents.

what's going on

previous posts

Knitting Discoveries, and Being a Worrywart
Margarita, please.
Heirloom?
Ack. Yow.
This week
Too Many Irons in the Fire
Have you ever wondered
Update
One, two, three . . . .
$29.11????? For real?

archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 October 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011

public service announcements

Photobucket

rings

links

blog reads







Knit and Tonic

Sister, Sister

the life and times of the Weaver sisters

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Whoooo, whoo-whoooooooo (posted by Ann)

I am mad at Blogger. I've typed a post three times, each time I think of something different I want to say. I sure hope this is it, I'm out of material. Otherwise you'll get a post that says "Humph" with a few pictures and no explanation.

Now on to what I really wanted to say.

The owls are back! We have a nest in the woods behind our house that hosts red-tailed hawks in the summer, and great horned owls in the winter. They breed during the winter months, when they can get more food. I shudder to think of anything living outside during the winter up here, but they do. Poor babies! Anyway, they arrive in the fall and they are very active either finding mates or selecting a nest, I'm not sure which, but they are loud. They have been around for about a week, talking back and forth to each other at intervals during the night. They wake me up, they are so loud, but I love to lay in bed and listen to them. I remember sleeping on Grandy's sleeping porch and her talking to me in the middle of the night asking if I heard the owl.

Anyway, we do have one new twist this year. Tater has discovered the owls. They hoot, and he growls. They talk back and forth, and he barks. It doesn't seem to bother the owls, so they keep on going. And so does he. At night. Repeatedly.

Yeah.

We've had lots going on up here, as is normal. Steve had another big cross-country meet last weekend, so I took this picture of the start of his race. He's in there somewhere, but I really can't pick him out. I was tempted to get in front of the crowd to take a shot of them coming at me, but then I thought about this and decided against it.

.
Here he is closing in on the finish. He ran a great race, and it didn't rain - much. All good things on a Saturday morning.










I took this picture after the race, and I'm calling it "Reluctant Construction Worker". I think you get the idea. Reluctant or no, there is a window in that opening as we speak.

Don is in San Francisco this week teaching class. He's almost completely healed, which is great. He travels next week to Detroit, and I'm off to GSO for a few days. (Just a little quiz to get you ready for training!)




As far as knitting, I did buy some size 4's to fix the blue sweater, but I haven't done it yet. I've been busy on a pink sweater I started for a baby girl. Here's what the stitch looks like - I love the little bows, and the seed stitch bands are my favorite. This is part of one of the fronts, which I have since finished. I went to New York and back yesterday, and both flights were delayed, so I did 6" of the back. I love baby sweaters, the entire back is 11" so I'm more than halfway done. We sat on the runway forever.

Look at the tag - when 3rd sister gave me the purse she made me, she had a tag in it so I decided to order some for myself. Aren't they cute?



P.S. Don't you dare order yourself some, leave me at least one inspired thing to get you for Christmas.

P.P.S. Will you and Steve come for Thanksgiving? I think Mom and Dad may be here, and I've asked Laurie if she and Alex would consider it. I might be able to wrangle a condo downtown for you and Steve . . .

2 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Blogger Lani said...

Owls ... I'm so jealous. I had owls at the cottage and loved it; I'd lie in bed and fall asleep listening to them. Tater is gonna need to learn to shut up though.

I don't think we'll make it at Thanksgiving. For one thing, I have a very strong feeling that I'll be flying; I'll be the new girl, remember, which I'm sure means I'll be working all the holidays. But ... if I can ... I'll be there.

Oh and I LOVE that stitch in the sweater, it's perfect for a little girl. Totally totally cute.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger none said...

Cute sweater stitch! I also like your tags, spiffy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home