cast of characters

Lani and Ann are the Weaver sisters!

Lani's household consists of Steve, the long-suffering coding genius and computer security guru; Jim, Lani's tall, red-headed and handsome son, currently finishing his second year of college; Hunter, Jasmine, Himari, Chenault, the miraculous Onyx and the even more miraculous Resk, undisputed feline rulers of the house; and Jesse, the man-hating green-cheeked conure.

Ann's household consists of Don, who is not just a computer genius but a pilot, a builder, and a damn good father; their son Steve, the marathon-running, college-bound, funniest teenager I know; and wonder dog Tater.

Other family members are Laurie, Lani's beautiful daughter who teaches at elementary levels; her handsome son Alex, aka Alexander the Great; Mary and Bo, a/k/a Mom and Dad, and Bud and Ann, Steve's patient and wonderful parents.

what's going on

previous posts

Eet smakelijk
Lots of pictures
Almost Famous
Oh yeah, and ...
Hi Honey, I'm Home!
Castle
Lessons in knitting
Friday!
Reality
It's A Boy . . .

archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 October 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011

public service announcements

Photobucket

rings

links

blog reads







Knit and Tonic

Sister, Sister

the life and times of the Weaver sisters

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

And they're off! (posted by Lani)

Or she's off anyway, she being me, and off being very loosely used here since I don't actually leave until tomorrow morning, but bear with me here. This morning started off beautifully; I walked outside and something moved and WHOA! It's a bunny! A BUNNY in my yard, a little brown bunny with a little puff of a white cottontail and a twitchy nose, eating my pansies. In the middle of Norfolk. He was so cute and it was just such a nice, unexpected way to start the day that I even forgave him for the pansies. I retreated back into the house, opened the blinds, and the cats and I bunny-watched for a while.

After that, the day was a whirl:
(1) running to Kmart to buy Space Bags (nifty! neato! they compress your stuff into teensy little stuff-bricks that take up NO space! downside: your stuff, when uncompressed, is going to be wrinkled like mad. I'm channeling Scarlett O'Hara with regard to that though, and I'll worry about it tomorrow.)
(2) continuing on to Target to (a) buy a cheapo bedding set and some cheapo pillows (because, as Steve pointed out, they might not have stores in Philadelphia. Thank you, Mr. Sarcasm, but I want sheets and pillows immediately, not a day or so after I get there. I'm funny that way.) and (b) sweettalk the watch lady into putting a new battery into my watch (ok fine, I didn't sweettalk her, I outright lied and told her I bought this watch at a Target in South Florida at a Special Event ... but the desired results were achieved and my watch has a new battery), and
(3) running back to Kmart because one of the space bags had a hole in it, and
(4) an orgy of packing and unpacking and repacking,
all interspersed with multiple phone calls to and from Laurie as she, Mom, Dad and Alex went to Fort Walton to look at cars (I'm assuming, Ann, that you knew that Laurie's car had been totalled recently, and for the rest of you, hey! Laurie's car was totalled recently!), and Laurie wanted to discuss options, and have me run VIN numbers for her on CarFax, and then more phone calls to wax ecstatic over the car they decided on (2005 Toyota Corolla, silver with black interior, she loves it but feels guilty about the cost), and then more phone calls because she stopped to get Alex ice cream and he tripped and took a nasty fall and had a big gooseegg on his head and should she take him to the ER, and then once we decided he was fine there was a brief intermission followed by MORE phone calls with much jumping up and down and cheering on both ends because Alex won the costume contest at the Yacht Club with his dinosaur costume (courtesy of yours truly and he did remember to say Grammer, thank you my dinosaur clothes). Whew.

I did manage, somewhere during all of this, to finish packing. It's tricky, trying to figure out what I'll need in order to live in two places at once and also travel. My room in Philly has a bed and pretty much that's it; blanket, pillows, sheets, towels, all that is up to me. Plus I'll need my uniform of course, and clothes to wear to hang out in because odds are good I'll be doing a fair amount of hanging while waiting to be called off reserve, and something(s) to keep me busy while hanging (said something(s) of course being composed primarily of yarn), and at least a little of what my friend Trish used to call "homey shit" ... the little knicknacks that make your place yours, and not a sterile hotel room. I have to take my crew bags since those are what I'm required to use to travel, so that leaves me one suitcase to pack pretty much everything other than my uniform in. YAY for space bags is all I have to say, and let's hope the nice people who check me in tomorrow don't get too anal about that 50 pound per bag limit because *ahem* I may be a little teensy bit over, what with my one suitcase containing, um, everything I mentioned above. Even the homey shit. And oh yeah, shoes.

I did order a laptop for the road but it won't be here until late this week, so I'll pick it up when I come back home on the 8th. Until then I'll probably have rather limited net access; my roommate does have her computer at the new house and I'll be able to check email and hopefully post pictures of my new place, but until I get back home that may be about it for the internets for me. I'll miss you ... and when I get back on the 8th I should have lots of stories to tell.

5 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Blogger Deneen said...

Tell Steve there aren't any Target's (that I know of) in Center City, Philadelphia-just a couple super K's-so there!

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger ThreeOliveMartini said...

hahah @ no stores..

and you know living in two places can be tricky..

you know if you need anything i am a call and the post office away !!

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I've always wanted to try the space bags! I'll miss you, but I'll keep writing just the same.

Yay for the car, scary about the bump, and yay again for the dinosaur. I want pictures!

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger none said...

I hope you were able to pack up some yarn in there! I would assume that would need its own space bag. :)

My husband just totalled our car and he bought a Toyota Corolla, also. He love it as well.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

I think I need space bags for my next storm assignment. Believe me, hurricanes and ice storms don't care if your clothes are wrinkled! And stores might NOT be open in Philly. Being a Southern girl, I don't know how they do things up north. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home