cast of characters

Lani and Ann are the Weaver sisters!

Lani's household consists of Steve, the long-suffering coding genius and computer security guru; Jim, Lani's tall, red-headed and handsome son, currently finishing his second year of college; Hunter, Jasmine, Himari, Chenault, the miraculous Onyx and the even more miraculous Resk, undisputed feline rulers of the house; and Jesse, the man-hating green-cheeked conure.

Ann's household consists of Don, who is not just a computer genius but a pilot, a builder, and a damn good father; their son Steve, the marathon-running, college-bound, funniest teenager I know; and wonder dog Tater.

Other family members are Laurie, Lani's beautiful daughter who teaches at elementary levels; her handsome son Alex, aka Alexander the Great; Mary and Bo, a/k/a Mom and Dad, and Bud and Ann, Steve's patient and wonderful parents.

what's going on

previous posts

The Express Lane to Uncool
Oh, man. Sorry to hear about your latest doctors ...
Well, unfortunately,
Eeewwwww!
Insert Title Here ...
Wow.
Ow, ow, ow.
Missing Steve
Yarn School!
Multi-tasking

archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 October 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011

public service announcements

Photobucket

rings

links

blog reads







Knit and Tonic

Sister, Sister

the life and times of the Weaver sisters

Friday, August 18, 2006

Cross Your Fingers ... (posted by Lani)

There's something that I've been sitting on, not wanting to jinx it, not sure really how I felt about it ... and it's happened. The day before I made my impromptu little visit to the hospital, I'd done something off the wall. A while back I'd met a Delta Airlines flight attendant, we hit it off, and we talked a lot about the job and the benefits and all that stuff over a period of several months. She loved her job, she introduced me to two of the trainers for Delta, they all kept telling me I should apply, that I'd be a shoo-in for a job. Meh. I didn't. I thought about it a lot ... but I didn't.

So I picked up the paper that Sunday and they were having cattle calls for flight attendants for USAir Express, right here in Norfolk. So I went, that Tuesday, just on a whim. I mean, why not, right? It was a LONG process, and an interesting one. 30-odd people showed up, mostly women but a couple of men. After about an hour of 'this is what the job is, these are the benefits, these are the down sides, this is the pay' they gave us a break and told us if we didn't feel the job was for us, or didn't feel we could pass the 10-year background check, the FBI/TSA fingerprint check and security screening, the drug screens etc., no worries, just don't come back after the break. 25 people came back after break and they gave us a battery of tests, then broke us into groups and had us stand up and read in-flight announcements, etc. All that took another hour and a half and then we took another break, and were told to check the door in 10 minutes to see if our name was posted for one-on-one interviews, if not then thanks for applying, don't hesitate to apply again another time, blahblahblah. Five names were posted. Mine was one of them.

In short, I went in at noon, and around 5:15 p.m., along with two other women, I got what's called a 'recommendation for hire' -- a job offer pending the background check. We were told that normally takes about 3-5 weeks; if you wash out they'll send you a letter saying thanks but no thanks, otherwise you get a phone call saying congrats and giving you a training date. Five weeks of training and poof you're a flight attendant, do not pass go, do not collect $200, just go get on the plane. Came home, told Steve what I'd done, we've talked extensively about pros and cons (salaries suck for the first about 4 years then get really damned nice, travel benefits and other benefits are flipping awesome, you're away from home a LOT) and ended up deciding hey, we have weeks to think this over and talk about it anyway, no rush.

Except Air Wisconsin/USAir Express just called. One week, two days later. I'm hired. I have to send them a copy of my passport application, since I'd let my passport expire; I've already done the application and ordered a rush copy of my birth certificate, just have to wait for it to get here. I'm reeling. They had said 3-5 weeks just to do the whole background check thing, and it's only been a week and a half. Granted that the agency doing the background check called me twice for clarification/further info and I gave it to them instantly, even dug up a years-old W2 and faxed it to them within an hour of their call ... I am reeling. No training date until I send them that passport application, but it's a firm job offer. And I'm going for it. Wish me luck.

7 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Deneen said...

I know I already mentioned it, but Good Luck-you know you'll do great.

Plus you'll get those awesome flight perks to be able to go to see the family whenever...

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Ann said...

It's made for you! All the free travel, great benefits, and you have always loved travel anyway. Congratulations!

Now I guess you need to get that pesky stone out so you can go do your new job!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

This sounds like it's too good to pass up. You've never met a stranger....

Get busy with the treatments. There are worse things than surgery...

Miss you!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger ThreeOliveMartini said...

woofuckign hooooo.. i knew you could do it if you wanted..

congrats..

i have my passport ready

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Pink said...

Well how 'bout that? Congrats, big time, that is so exciting but a shame you won't have time to work on your projects while flying...

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger hi, i'm natalie said...

YAY, Lani!! That's so exciting - enjoy it!

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Oh goodness!!! How exciting! That is my dream job if I ever decide to leave the rat race! Good luck - can not wait to hear how you like it!!

(yeah, this is a bit late, but I am still catching up from vacation!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home