cast of characters

Lani and Ann are the Weaver sisters!

Lani's household consists of Steve, the long-suffering coding genius and computer security guru; Jim, Lani's tall, red-headed and handsome son, currently finishing his second year of college; Hunter, Jasmine, Himari, Chenault, the miraculous Onyx and the even more miraculous Resk, undisputed feline rulers of the house; and Jesse, the man-hating green-cheeked conure.

Ann's household consists of Don, who is not just a computer genius but a pilot, a builder, and a damn good father; their son Steve, the marathon-running, college-bound, funniest teenager I know; and wonder dog Tater.

Other family members are Laurie, Lani's beautiful daughter who teaches at elementary levels; her handsome son Alex, aka Alexander the Great; Mary and Bo, a/k/a Mom and Dad, and Bud and Ann, Steve's patient and wonderful parents.

what's going on

previous posts

Did you ever wonder . . .
Home
And they're off!
Eet smakelijk
Lots of pictures
Almost Famous
Oh yeah, and ...
Hi Honey, I'm Home!
Castle
Lessons in knitting

archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 October 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011

public service announcements

Photobucket

rings

links

blog reads







Knit and Tonic

Sister, Sister

the life and times of the Weaver sisters

Monday, November 13, 2006

Alive and well and living in Philadelphia ... (posted by Lani)

That's me, alright. I have a love-hate thing going with my job right now; I love the job, hate the living in Philadelphia part of it. Not that my roommate Veronica (a/k/a Ronnie) isn't fabulous, she is; but I'm not at home, and I miss Steve and the animals and, well, being at home. I did go home for three days last week which was wonderful, and I'll get to go back home Wednesday or Thursday of this week for another three days, but you know, it's just not enough. The transfer back home to Norfolk can't come too soon for me, or for Steve.

Homesickness aside, Philly is a great city. There are some great museums here (the Museum of National History is having a Darwin and the Galapagos exhibit!) and Ronnie's son, who works for the Seaport Museum, was kind enough to get me a City Pass with tickets to all of them. Downtown is great for shopping, and there are also some fabulous malls in the area. Unfortunately I'm on reserve, which means they can call me and require me to be at the airport ready to fly with only a 2-hour lead time, and yes it happens -- it happened to me last week. Scheduling does try to give you a 24 hour notice when possible though, and it's when you have that nice long lead time that you're actually able to leave your house and enjoy the city. In theory, that is; while Ronnie has gotten 18 and 24 hour lead times, mine so far have all been under 4 hours. This means I do a lot of sitting. And knitting. And crocheting. And even *gasp* TV-watching. CNN, HGTV and the DIY channel are getting a workout here!

Ronnie and I have been in touch with most of our former classmates over the past week, and as we expected we've already lost several people and stand to lose one or two more. We graduated 33, and we're down to 28 still flying now with two more saying they're probably going to leave soon. There are various reasons for this, but the most common seems to be a variation on my theme; people hate living away from home (and often haven't been lucky enough to find a living arrangement that works as well for them as mine does for me). Most of us, though, are toughing it out at least for now. We'll see how that plays out.

I had pictures to post today of our house, my knitting, my crocheting, and so forth, but ... the down side of living in two places ... I'm in Philly, my camera is in Philly, my laptop is in Philly, and my camera cable is in Norfolk. Last week my crocheting was in Philly and my pattern was in Norfolk. I figure when I finally get everything where it needs to be, my transfer will come through. My life in a nutshell.

So are you over the sinus infection? How's life in your neck of the woods?

2 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

Being in two places are once is tricky. Do you have a temporary address in Philly where I could send you cards or silly notes?

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Deneen said...

Hi Lani-I am glad you are settled in. One good thing, Philly has lots to offer. I keep meaning to get that City Pass thing, but you have to do the stuff within a certain time frame of buying the pass and well, with Elena and Mike's schedules, scheduling is tough for us. I hope things settle down a bit for you and it gets a little easier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home