cast of characters

Lani and Ann are the Weaver sisters!

Lani's household consists of Steve, the long-suffering coding genius and computer security guru; Jim, Lani's tall, red-headed and handsome son, currently finishing his second year of college; Hunter, Jasmine, Himari, Chenault, the miraculous Onyx and the even more miraculous Resk, undisputed feline rulers of the house; and Jesse, the man-hating green-cheeked conure.

Ann's household consists of Don, who is not just a computer genius but a pilot, a builder, and a damn good father; their son Steve, the marathon-running, college-bound, funniest teenager I know; and wonder dog Tater.

Other family members are Laurie, Lani's beautiful daughter who teaches at elementary levels; her handsome son Alex, aka Alexander the Great; Mary and Bo, a/k/a Mom and Dad, and Bud and Ann, Steve's patient and wonderful parents.

what's going on

previous posts

New post below
Alive and well and living in Philadelphia ...
Did you ever wonder . . .
Home
And they're off!
Eet smakelijk
Lots of pictures
Almost Famous
Oh yeah, and ...
Hi Honey, I'm Home!

archives

July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 October 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011

public service announcements

Photobucket

rings

links

blog reads







Knit and Tonic

Sister, Sister

the life and times of the Weaver sisters

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Around here, we love meeces to pieces (posted by Lani)

We'd like to anyway, or at least the cats would like to. And they'd like to do it quite literally, too. I got back home super late Wednesday night and Thursday Steve and I were sitting here when I suddenly heard him say "Whoa!" "Whoa what?" "Jasmine has a mouse!!" "Well, yeah, that's why I buy them, you haven't seen her play with them before?" "Uh, Lani. A REAL mouse." Whoopsie! Fortunately for that little mousie Jasmine never was much of a hunter, and she was apparently as stunned that she actually caught the mouse as it was stunned to BE caught. I pounced on her and made her drop the mouse, Steve scooped mousie up and repatriated it to OUTSIDE the house, and we had a happy ending (all of us but Jasmine, anyway; she's still pouting). Now we have to find an exterminator I guess. I can't bear even the thought of mousetraps, and I don't want to KILL the mice but on the other hand I don't want them in the house either. Anyone with de-mousing suggestions?

In other news! On the table when I got home was a box. A box addressed to me, no less. Whee, I love presents! And this one was a doozy ... a genuine CAT bag of my very own! See?



Charlotte, I adore it; you outdid yourself. I can't use it in uniform but I can (and already have!) when I'm off duty -- and I love it, every little detail of it. It's just big enough without being too big, the pockets inside are perfect, and ya'll, she tucked airport flashcards inside with the airport codes and names of all the airports I should visit to see my friends and family. Too funny ... Steve and I got a real laugh out of those. Thank you so much!

As for my flying, well, I haven't been. I've been sitting. I'm TIRED of sitting. I'm getting just a wee bit cranky about sitting, in fact. So I spoke to Crew Scheduling and begged and pleaded, and they promised me that I'd get to fly this round. Getting paid to just sit may sound good, but when you're just sitting in a strange city and you're tied to your apartment and can't go out ... jeeze. Let me fly. Please.

On the up side, while sitting I've been knitting (and crocheting, too). At least I've been somewhat productive in my frustration. We had a cold snap in Philly the first week I was there and I needed a scarf to wear with my coat, so I pored through free patterns and came up with the Touch of Whimsy pattern. The company wants you to feel free to exercise your individuality (HA), so your scarf/hat/gloves can be any color you like as long as it's black, navy blue, or grey. With that in mind I rummaged through my stash and came up with some 1824 Mission Cotton in a nice dark grey, and I was off. After a couple of repeats I decided I wasn't nuts about the cables in the middle of the scarf (too bulky with this particular yarn, I think I'd like it better with a different yarn), so I ripped back and started over without the cables and I'm very happy with the result.



My Whimsy is about 5 feet long so I can wrap it snugly around my neck, or fling it whimsically over my shoulders, the Mission cotton makes it snuggly and cushiony, and the pattern, with or without cables, was easy to memorize. I'll be doing more of these. For now though, currently on the needles is a panta a/k/a headband to go with; once that's done I'll be making the Touch of Whimsy hat as well. I mean, why not have a matching set?

While not knitting I was crocheting. Remember this? Last seen at Row 51?


Well, here it is as of last night, at 1/4 of the way through Row 80 of 81 ...



and as of this morning I'm pleased to announce that it's DONE. I'll get it washed and dried when I'm home next, take a final picture, and then wrap it up in pretty paper for Steve to take with him when he goes to see his mom the first part of December. I'm so happy! And despite the seemingly endless rows of single crochet at the end, I do love this pattern and I'll make another of these in the near future, mark my words. For now, though, currently on the hook once again and headed back to Philadelphia with me tonight is ... ta-daaa ... Mom's afghan (aka the 85,000 stitch just-kill-me-now afghan, for those who remember that from earlier this year), at just under 50% complete. See, Mom, I haven't forgotten you!

2 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Ann said...

It's just mice all over for us!

Love your scarf, that looks warm and comfy. And so individualistic!
The afghan is just great, and I can't wait to see a picture of Mom's. I don't remember if you ever posted a picture of that.

Your CAT bag is great - I'm using mine today. Isn't 3rd sister talented? She clearly fits into our family . . .

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Charlotte said...

I'm glad your CAT Bag arrived safe and sound. I don't have internet at home (yes, I'm still in the stone age) so I wasn't sure. I thought since you didn't get to King Tut with us that you'd like Egyptian print to pretend you were there.

I've made about a dozen bags so far and have branched out a bit into children's bags but I don't like them as much.

Sasha brought David and me a chipmunk for Thanksgiving so I guess woodland creatures need heat too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home